Monday, December 8, 2008

Pollo Campero comes to Texas


If you have been on a return flight from Guatemala, you most likely have seen the scores of people in the airport and plane with bags of Pollo Campero food. When we have met Guatemalans living in America, I have been asked if we ate at Pollo Campero (Country Chicken). Though we were not adventuresome enough to go to one in Guatemala, still I have been curious to try out such a popular place in Guat... you know, taking in the culture. :)

Then, come to find out, the Guatemalan-based chain opened a restaurant just a couple of miles from our childhood homes. I asked Daniel if it was alright to want to do something just to be able to post if on the blog and we made plans to go when we were down for Thanksgiving. :)

I did not have high hopes for the food (not really a fried-food person, and I believed it to be a Guat version of KFC), but my parents raved about it (and they are definately not fried-food people). My (grilled) chicken and rice bowl was great, but Daniel's chix sandwich was so-so (however, the sandwich might not be on the menu in Guat...possibly an American addition).

Mommy and Daddy with our lil' Guat-tot

Lovin' her DaddyPapa getting some snuggles.

The chix strips were a hit with the kids. My parents showed off Ellie to the manager (who knows if he was Guatemalan or cared, but he was nice enough to rave on her cuteness.) Our kids loved getting to spend time with Cousin Dylan and Derek (our of the shot in the car seat).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I just figured out why I don't remember Pollo Campero. See, you said you saw the bags in the airport and on the plane. I'm thinking that all my logical, reasonable mental capabilities must have ceased to work as soon as we entered the airport/plane area. Good theory, huh??? Or maybe I just couldn't see the bags, through the tears!--amber d.

Amanda said...

Where is the story of Noah's famous words, "And for my Next Drink!" I'd live up Soda Saturday too!!!!!

David and Marianne said...

Are you serious?!?!? You didn't eat Pollo Campero on your trip? It was my favorite food we ate down there! At least you got to try it State side : ) Did they have the nuggets with like 3 million sauces to choose from... just curious!

Adorable pics as always!

Grammy said...

Mey, Maybe Gramps and I can try the Pollo Campero whne we come to Texas (some time). I hope we get to go out again some time. Love to you all.
Grammy

Ashley Weaver said...

I loved Pollo Campero! But I can't say that I had any "pollo" from there. The ice cream was great though and they had some tasty pastries too! That's awesome it's in Texas! Hope you guys are doing well! My mom said she got to see you all this weekend...and something about my dad carrying Ellie. :) Blessings!

Deidre said...

How did you guys miss out on Pollo Campero? We ate there at least once on all three of our trips! (I think that was because Jose told us that was going to be one of the safest places to eat, so we took him at his word!) To me the food wasn't that great, but after eating things that I had never seen before all week, it was a welcome meal! :) Glad that you got to experience it here in the states, at least you got to have your drink with ice! Love the pics!