Thursday, July 17, 2008

God Abundantly Provides

I mentioned briefly in an earlier post how I have been working on bargain shopping lately. I got home from a stop at Target today and this was the conversation I had with Daniel:

Me: "Guess how much all of this (9 pks of diapers and 9 large pks of wipes) cost?"
Daniel: "Ahhh...$50" (a pretty low guess, but he knows how I like to shop
Me: (After a game of lower/higher) "Just Under $16!!"

Me: "Wait...that $16 also included 5 jars of peanut butter! And I have a $5 gift card that I earned with the purchases left"

I have no plans on turning our blog into a deal-of-the-day, but this was too good not to share how God is providing. Just this past Sunday, I was able to give one of the "Senior Saints" in our church a bag full of toiletries and nonperishable food items. I am pretty sure she left lipstick on my face when she kissed me and there was a thank you note in our mailbox by Tuesday. If any of you would like to join us in this coupon/drugstore/etc game, it will not only save your family a significant amount of money on grocery items, but we also desire to help out many of the seniors at church that are on a fixed income. And, with the assisted living complex right next to the church plant meeting place, there is tremendous potential for ministry in sharing of our abundance.

13 comments:

Cheryl said...

you are a merchant ship!!! And amen to our senior saints thought...more to come on that later.

Jenny said...

That is so cool that you got all that stuff! Didn't you post something awhile ago for these coupons? Can you email me the link? shelstadj@centurytel.net

Amy said...

You go girl! :)

Grammy said...

Wonderful idea! Great bargain shopping, too. Girl, you are just the greatest!
Love you,
Grammy

Courtney said...

All is can say is you go girl....... I am impressed. Way to go. Courtney

David and Marianne said...

That is insane!! How did you do this?? You've got to lend me your bargaining tips .... we're going to need them with 2 in diapers for at least another year maybe 2 : )

Em said...

you're my hero.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you gotta share how you do this. I'm amazed!

Kris McClelland

Anonymous said...

I would love some help w/your tricks. :) I think you emailed a link awhile ago, but I lost it. Teach me step by step. Have a good week!!

Anonymous said...

Count me in! I'd be glad to join you in this worthwhile endeavor and fill bags with groceries for seniors. I used to bargain shop. Now I just try to get in and out of a store as quickly as possible. Maybe I can relearn old habits. And those tips some are mentioning would be helpful- thanks!

Lisa
schwarz8@mtco.com

Hamfam5 said...

Wow Whitney! I don't remember hearing anything about this before. I'd love to know how, too! I LOVE to bargain shop!!

Nancie =)

Anonymous said...

Awesome Whitney! What is your secret?? Daniel also talked today about 4 shopping carts full and $90 in credit!? I am inspired, so please share :-) Thank you!!
J.dietz

Anonymous said...

OK, I want to know how to do this as well - please share your tips. :) You go girl!

Nicole