Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Did I Ever Mention That I was Adopted?

Now that I have your attention...


I was lovingly raised by my biological parents, but I have experienced a heavenly adoption into as a child of God. Ephesians 1:5-6 "He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved."

My dad sat me down at the age of seven and explained very simply my need for a savior. My heart was filled with sin, as he illustrated by a drawing of a heart dirtied with pencil marks. Jesus came to die for my sin and I could be made clean (erasing of marks) by putting my faith in Him. As you consider the ramifications of this Holy week, know you have a Savior who was willing to pay the price for everything you have done, thought, or said that is contrary to His perfect standard, the Bible. God has provided a way in Jesus for you to be forgiven.

I love how God allows earthly adoptions to be a picture of our heavenly adoption. What a powerful way of explaining His grace we that are called to adopt a child are given! John Piper puts it well in this mini-sermon on adoption of both forms. For more details of what the Bible has to say about heavenly adoption, visit the website my Father-in-law has created.

1 comments:

Papa said...

Whitney,

Thanks for reminding us about our spirtual adoption. You've taught us a lot these past couple of years.

Knowing Jesus loves us even more than we love Ellie...