Sunday, August 19, 2007

Some Days I Miss Her More

It is amazing where this adoption roller coaster takes your emotions! I can be upbeat and excited about the progress in our case, and then some days it just hurts that Ellie is not here. (Wal-Mart, at night, alone, is especially hard for some odd reason. I don't do this very often and maybe I don't know what to do with the brain power that I usually need to keep three in-tow and make it out without all the groceries squished.) We hung the paintings we purchased in Guatemala, which look nice, but are another reminder of our little girl, so far away.

I have been surprised by the affect the adoption has had on our children at home. I knew they would answer the frequent question, "Are you excited to get a little sister" in sweet, predictable ways. They would talk about having a fourth to play "Narnia" with and how there would be three of each, boys and girls, in our family. But, they have been emotional, too.

While preparing the trip video, the kids would watch what I was doing. One day, getting to the end, Austin turned to me and said, "When you all were leaving, I felt like I was going to cry!" It was precious and touching. He also loves watching and rewatching the scene where Ellie says, "Ahhhhheeeeee", when I ask her to say Auggie (Austin's nickname). Today, was the ministry fair at church. The adoption ministry had a booth with the visit trip video running. Austin stood and watched for a while, and turned to me as it finished, with huge tears in his eyes, and a look that said, "How could you have left my baby sister so far away!" I pulled him in for a hug and started crying too, in the middle of a full gym of people around us. I didn't realize how much a four year-old could understand about this process.
The affect on Hannah has shown up at night. She says she is lonely and cannot fall asleep. The plan is to put the girls together in a room and I wonder if Hannah has been thinking more about this. She is so sweet to cuddle her Guatemalan doll we brought her. She named her Maria (Ellie's given name) Gabriella (a form of her own middle name, but more Spanish sounding, and the name of Hannah's friend who picked out the doll). Yesterday, Hannah had me style her hair to look like the doll. When she watches video of Ellie, her comment is that "Ellie will fit in our family really well!" To read a touching story of her sacrificial heart, visit Daniel's blog.

Noah prays for "UHHHEEE" and recognizes her picture. Through our own mistakes, we are pretty firm believers in waiting until a child is really ready to potty train. Since Noah is newly 2, I will be more than happy to change two sets of diapers, if the Lord chooses to bring Ellie home before Noah is ready! :)
I am often told (at Wal-Mart, no doubt), "My, you have your hands full" or other forms of the same comment. But I am thinking, they are not full enough! Ellie, I miss you, my little Guateangel! Lord, please bring her home soon!!

P.S. Daniel was unable to be at this photo-shoot, he was riding roller coasters with the youth group, the non-metaphorical kind. :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whitney,
You, Daniel, and Ellie are on my heart a lot. I'm praying that Ellie comes home very soon! I find myself thinking about her a lot and missing her too. I can't wait to see that cute little tongue stick out and that hear her sweet little giggle again. My heart and eyes well up with emotion as I read about the sweet, tender, mature, and thoughtful hearts of Hannah and Austin. What soft, sweet kiddies you have! So precious! I pray that this week God gives you comfort and peace in your wait. Love-Jerelyn

jajbs said...

YOu have a beautiful family!!! I pray your Guateangel will be home soon!


Amanda

Grammy said...

Dear Whitney,
I miss seeing Ellie in the pics with the 5 of you, too. How my heart aches for what you are all going through, and yet, how sweet it will be when you are all together. This blog addition answers a lot of questions for me about how this is affecting your other children. How tender, how loving, how touching.
Love,
Grammy and Gramps

Gail said...

What a beautiful family. I hope you get the little sister home soon.
Gail

Bekah said...

those pictures are beautiful. can't wait until ellie can join you all. praying it's soon.

Em said...

The pictures are beautiful! I had to smile because sometimes I do my deepest thinking at Wal-Mart too! :)

Children are amazing little creations with such tender, loving hearts! Praying that your fourth blessing comes home soon!

Anonymous said...

Whitney-
What a cute, cute family!

Jennifer

Aim said...

I can totally relate to you. The ups and downs come and go and often in the most unlikely of places. It is so hard to wait for the Lords timing. God Bless