Sunday, January 27, 2008

Guest Blogger Daddy


It’s around noon and Ellie and Whitney are sitting in a chair by the window.

We slept fitfully through the night and had a hard time getting out of bed this morning. We weren’t tired but it was just difficult to think about waiting all day for Ellie to show up. I was thinking that the longer I stayed in bed the shorter the wait would be. Eventually, I got up and picked up a book and the T.V. remote. I climbed back in bed and put the book and remote on the nightstand. We just continued to lay in bed as the time slowly ticked by.

Thus it was that when the phone rang at 8:20 we were both still both in bed! It was the guy at the front desk. “You have visitor,” he said cryptically. We flew out of bed, wondering if it was Ellie or our guide for the embassy appointment tomorrow. As we came downstairs and turned the corner, we could see Ellie and Mimi, one of the mamas at the orphanage, through a window. When Whitney picked up Ellie, our little girl started crying. Things were somewhat awkward because Mimi wasn't sure if she should stay or go. She was really sad to leave Ellie but didn't want to intrude. We all had breakfast and then Mimi left.

After Mimi left, Ellie continued to cry on and off (mostly on) for the next hour. She finally settled down and fell asleep, but you can tell that even now that she’s awake, she is still rather...hesitant. She is in a strange environment with strange people (I don’t think she really remembers us from our week in July). She clings to us and snuggles us very tightly. Every now and then she will sit up a little bit and look at us. She looks like she’s not sure if she wants to continue to cry or not.
We are grateful that the Lord has brought Ellie to us again. Please pray for her as she leaves the only home that she has ever known and these strange people take her to the tundra that is the Midwest.
Love to all,
Daniel

23 comments:

Leah said...

So glad to see you guys made it. Wow! I've never seen luggage look that rough after a flight!

She looks like she's doing better. Food is such a comfort :)

We lifted you guys up to the Lord during our SS class today. Everyone is celebrating with you. Enjoy your stay at La Casa and your bonding time with Ellie.

Em said...

It is so, so good to see Ellie in her Momma's arms! Praying that bonding would happen quickly and that there are as few bumps as possible on your journey home!

Emily I

mjdav said...

We just read your blog posting to Noah and when he saw the picture he said "ELLIE!"

We prayed for you in our ABC class and will pray tonight at H2H.

We ask for grace and contentment for you and Ellie and also Mimi.

Sending love from us all!

Anonymous said...

We're thankful that Ellie's in your arms now and very confident that she'll thrive in Mom and Dad's love. We're lifting all six of you up and can't wait for your safe return.

Chuck and Becky

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! So good to see pictures of you guys all together. What fun that she came early! Praying Ellie has a smooth adjustment and for Mimi too!

Leslie said...

Hannah says... "I'm excited you got Ellie earlier than you thought you would. I love you. Did you get my note in your suitcases?"

Alli says... "You're our favorite Ellie. I can't wait to meet you."

Leslie says... I am SO excited for you guys! I had Hannah and Alli both on my lap as I started reading your blog to them. I only made it through a few sentences and then burst our crying. Hannah picked up reading right where I left off and finished reading the rest of it to all of us! :) Words can't express how happy I am for your family! We will keep praying for Ellie as she makes this big, but wonderful, change! We love you guys!

Leslie said...

Oh, I forgot to mention. Right after Hannah saw the picture of Whitney holding Ellie she put a great big smile on her face. Then she said, "Hey, I have that shirt too!" (She wore it yesterday.) It was pretty cute.

BHG & Co. said...

I am so happy for you and your family. I will praying for y'all and Ellie as you head back to the states.

Ashley Weaver said...

Congratulations Bennett family of 6! I hope to see Ellie again some day - but in her new home! Safe travels to you guys and many blessings!

Stephanie said...

So glad she is finally in your arms!
Praying she bonds quickly to you!
She is precious!
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to see you both with Ellie. Even though your trip began a little slow, God is faithful. I treasure that I was able to pray with you at the airport in Peoria. Little did I know I was in your departure committee. :o) I look forward to even more pictures! Blessings!

Kris

Amanda and Paul said...

I am sitting here about in tears!! I am so happy to see Ellie in your arms. We will prayer for Ellie and your family as you all adjust.

Janie Rider said...

I am so glad that you made it to Guatemala safely. Ellie is adorable and you will see her become more and more attached to you each day. Mimi is precious and loves the children as if they are her own. Can't wait to meet Ellie.
With Love,
Janie Rider

Aim said...

Wow, Ellie looks so adorable! We are so happy for you! We hope all goes well with your appointment. God Bless-The Johnsons

Anonymous said...

So happy to see Ellie in your arms- what a joyful day! We will be praying that her tears and snuggles cause her to bond closely and quickly to you.

Austin says... Hi, Mom and Dad. I love you, Ellie. Solomon and I played with the blocks and the cars in Sunday School. And the Tinkertoys. I played a computer game this afternoon. You have to move the frog. It was fun. We watched a movie about cars. I'm having a good day.

Courtney said...

The pictures are adorable. Congrats. so happy to see you with Ellie. Hope all goes well. can't wait to see more pictures and hear all about your trip. so exciting. courtney

Unknown said...

How perfect! Only last week you were preaching and encouraging us on Adoption Sunday. Now only 7 days later you have added to your family through adoption. We will continue to pray for you. Looking forward to having you all home. Monica

Anonymous said...

So glad you've got her in your arms. I'm praying for all of you in your transition - and Mimi, too.

Praying Ellie sleeps well tonight and you all get great rest together. Love to you all,
Nicole

Anonymous said...

Daniel,

Our wives talk often but I seldom chime in. However your union with Ellie is too great an event for me not to jump in. If I could figure out how to do a barrel roll in celebration on this blog I would do it.

Congratulations hermano!

Rod Milton

Jenn said...

It's so great to see you guys together! Ellie is such a doll! WE stayed at The same hotel when we went to visit Shiloh in Oct.

Amy said...

Praying for your family. We are so happy for you all. Ellie is going to love her brothers and sister!

May this be a special time for you.

Ken, Amy,and Family

The Wilkens Family said...

I am so glad to see you made it safely to Guate and that Ellie is in your arms!

Grammy said...

Dear children,
Can hardly wait for a picture of the six of you to put on my family wall of photos! You are all so dear to us. Everyone here asks when you are going to all be together. (I am always telling people about our new granddaughter)
Praying for your safe return, and loving you all,
Grammy and Gramps